I made up a number of the Warlord IJA soldiers went through the base debate, and then decided to do a test paint or two just to see how they would look. And I stumbled at the first step. Either the spray can was held too close, or too far, or maybe not shaken enough, or rather that the humidity level is currently just too high since it's the tail end of the Monsoon and I need to wait for a better time, but regardless the result was a speckled and splattered base coat totally unsuitable for contrast paints to spread.
So along with the gloss painted Type-95 Ha-Go gift from a good friend with the best of intentions*, it means that my 28mm Bolt Action IJA force starts not with painting but rather paint striping.
Something, that even after 40 years in the hobby, I have never done. So after a little bit of online research, then confirmed through multiple sources, the process seems simple enough.
A leisurely isopropyl-alcohol (91+% pure) bath, followed by a nice scrub with an old toothbrush, repeated until most of the paint has been stripped away and I'm happy. Then a nice rinsing wash in some dish detergent and warm water followed by another wait as "reset" figure dries.
I'm led to believe that not all the paint will be removed but that I should be left with a figure that is "reset" enough and that all the speckling should be removed enough so that I can try again.
* I have been contemplating just touching up and repairing the Ha-Go, maybe using some Army Painter Anti-shine to tone down the gloss, and some powders to add some dirt, but basically keeping it "as is", since there is something nicely nostalgic about retaining it as my friend finished and gifted it. I'll have to try and paint a sister tank to match.

Although this may be rare, it sure is annoying and disheartening when it happens.
ReplyDelete